Hi! I am so excited about sharing today’s recipe with you!
Today I’ll be recreating an amazing dish that I ate at Greens in West Didsbury. Greens is a vegetarian restaurant owned by Simon Rimmer and I have been lucky enough to eat there a few times in the past 3 years. In fact a friend actually works there so I’ve even been able to try some of their dishes whilst not in the restaurant!
The dish I’ve decided to recreate is their deep-fried oyster mushrooms with pancakes and plum sauce. It’s basically a vegan version of crispy duck pancakes and works so well. Greens is a vegetarian restaurant as I said earlier, but unfortunately their vegan items aren’t hugely varied or imaginative but this dish bucks the trend and I love it!
I am so happy with how this recipe turned out. It turns out I could have published it under quick and easy! The whole thing took such a short amount of time for the deliciousness it produced.
Vegan Crispy Pancakes
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup rice flour
2 tbsp Chinese five spice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
1 cup chilled water
1/2lb oyster mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces
Oil to fry (About 500mls – I used vegetable oil)
Cucumber and spring onions cut into thin strips
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan on a medium heat.
2. Mix the flours and the five spice together in a bowl. Stir in the soy sauce and the wine. Add enough of the cold water to make a thickish batter.
3. Drop the mushrooms into the batter stirring them to coat, I did this in small batches which made it much easier and stopped the pieces getting too broken up.
4. Test the temperature of the oil. Drip a small amount of batter into the oil. If it rises to the surface and turns brown within a few seconds the oil is the right temperature.
5. Lift the mushrooms out of the batter scraping off any excessive batter so each mushroom piece is covered in just a thin layer.
6. Fry the mushrooms in small batches for 2-3 minutes or until a deep golden colour. Using a slotted spoon take out of the oil and drain on kitchen roll or a clean tea towel.
7. Warm the pancakes in the microwave for 30 seconds. Serve immediately to preserve the crispiness of the mushrooms and serve with cucumber, spring onions and hoisin sauce.
Oh my gosh! These were so stupidly delicious! Me and Gary ate 6 pancakes each, a combination of our sheer greediness and how impressed we were by them. Please try the recipe and let me know if you liked it as much as we did.
I am seriously impressed by the sandwich options that people have come up with for vegan MoFo. I love sandwiches but I must admit I am pretty lazy when it comes to making anything but the basics, hence yesterday’s avocado on toast! But I am tempted to change this for Emil’s Waffle Mac based on the burger available from v-revolution. Or Dawn’s tempeh Reuben. Or Caeli’s or Celine & Tamasin’s (shared by Mihl) marinated aubergine sandwich. I am beside myself with excitement! And if I’m still feeling sandwich-lazy I can follow Mr Flicking the V’s in-depth guide to crisp sandwiches!